An alkaloid isolated from the corn lily (Veratrum californicum) is a Sonic Hedgehog gene pathway antagonist with potential anticancer properties.
- Catalog No: APH-05012
- CAS Number: 60-70-8
- Chemical Formula: C27H39NO2
- Molecular Weight: 409.61
- Purity: > 98% determined by HPLC
- Appearance: White to off-white crystals
- Solubility: Soluble in ethanol and methanol
- Stability: Stable over extended period at -20°C.
- Storage: -20°C
- Shipping: On ice (5°C)
- Handling: Avoid exposure to skin and eyes.
Veratramine is a steroidal alkaloid isolated from the corn lily (Veratrum californicum) that grows wild in the mountains and deserts of Nevada and California. Veratramine is closely related to Cyclopamine.
Certain biological properties of Veratramine are similar to Cyclopamine.
The hedgehog pathway, which is blocked by Cyclopamine, has come into prominence as a potential chemotherapeutic target over the course of the last decade for the treatment of inoperable cancers such as basal cell carcinoma, medulloblastoma and rhabdomyosarcoma.